Dear 2020, I know, 2020, that most earth people are so ready to tell you adieu, adios, sayonara, or goodbye. In fact, quite a number of my kind are inclined to yell good riddance! Not to shock you, but I’d really like to tell you thank you. It must have been tough on you to dish out all the havoc. Here is my 2020 goodbye but thank you encased within ten quotes along with my reflections. This may allow you to realize that some of us may actually have at least a little gratitude.
- When everything seems against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. Henry Ford
Perhaps your overwhelming onslaught is what we humans needed to know our true power. Twenty-twenty, you were certainly showing off your power. Thank you for reminding us that we can be powerful as well.
2. Every adversity, every failure and every heartache carries with it the seed of an equivalent of a greater benefit. Napoleon Hill
We are grateful, 2020, that you allowed seeds of benefit to sprout amongst the heartache.
3. It is only in our darkest hours that we may discover the true strength of the brilliant light within ourselves that can never, ever, be dimmed. Doe Zantamata
Many of us may need to dig deeply for this one. I have found much truth in this through having lost a child. Thank you for letting us know our inner light truly cannot be extinguished.
4. Forget what hurt you but never forget what it taught you. Shannon L. Alder
I know each one of us has very different lessons we’ve learned from you, 2020. For me, I am most grateful for the concentrated creative time that you offered. This lesson taught me that I must allow myself time to write, to draw, to paint, to make music.
5. Some of us think holding on makes us strong, but sometimes it is letting go. Herman Hesse
Thank you for the not so gentle reminder that when something is taken from our grasp, we’re stronger if we just listen and let go.
6. There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in. Leonard Cohen
We are grateful for the cracks. Well, maybe not at first, but eventually we open our eyes and are amazed at the beauty of the exquisite light!
7. We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid. Plato
Thank you, 2020, for the dark. However, I am
afraid concerned some need a little cuddling on this one. It isn’t easy for those who live alone to snuggle and such with quarantining. However, I am certain with a little more cracking, the fear will dissipate.
8. A bridge can still be built, while the bitter waters are flowing beneath. Anthony Liccione
We are grateful for opportunities to build bridges between divides.
9. Know the true value of time; snatch, seize, and enjoy every minute of it. Lord Chesterfield
Thank you for helping us to be in each moment of time, squeezing all the available deliciousness!
10. I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love. Mother Teresa
Oh, 2020, you far exceeded all the other reasons on this one. You gave us so much trouble that it was amazingly easy to find people who sorely needed our love. Thank you so much!
My goodness, 2020, you really are much wiser than some of us may realize. You became a master teacher, showing us the power of self, that disasters may have seeds of benefit, that we should be releasing, bridging, living and loving moment to moment. Most of all, we are so grateful for showing us that we can always find light in the darkest of places. Oh, 2020, goodbye but thank-you!
In sincere gratitude, your friend,