In approaching a new year, many times we do a reassessment of our previous year or years. This year, perhaps we can HOP into the new year! My acronym stands for happiness, opportunity and potential.
If you happen to be in the throes of grief, allow me to extend my sympathies. Part of the beauty of being human is in the diversity of our emotions. We must express our feelings. Learning ways to influence our emotions can be beneficial. However, if you need help to allow daily functioning, please consider a grief counselor.
HOP: H is for Happiness
Let’s begin with happiness. This elusive emotion may depend upon many factors. Here is an excellent article which does a great job at enumerating many ways which may influence our happiness mindset. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/happiness It is interesting to see what the experts consider to be the minimum and maximum of various resources to enable optimal happiness. There are always outliers to any data. Sometimes, we are as happy as we decide we want to be.
O is for Opportunity in the New Year
We could say, “Whew, our last two years have been a doozy !” Or, we could say, “What an opportunity we have to improve upon the past two years!” How might you approach this new year? Here are some wise quotes which certainly reflect my take on opportunity. I will also tell you, this kind of attitude is what lifted me up when our son was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Instead of bemoaning his situation, I framed my thoughts to, “What can I do to make a difference for him?”
- In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity. Albert Einstein
- Expect change. Analyze the landscape. Take the opportunities. Stop being the chess piece, become the player. It’s your move. Tony Robbins
- Victory comes from finding opportunities in problems. Sun Tzu
- A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston S. Churchill
Believe me, I have lived my life both ways. It is a heck of a lot more fun to look at challenges as positive opportunities. Here is a link to help: WASH AWAY NEGATIVITY!
P is for Potential
This new year is fast approaching. It has never been lived before. What potential lies before us?
- Everyone has inside himself a piece of good news! The good news is that you really don’t know how great you can be, how much you can love, what you can accomplish, and what your potential is! Anne Frank
- Believe in your infinite potential. Your only limitations are those you set upon yourself. Anonymous
- The potential of the average person is like a huge ocean unsailed, a new continent unexplored, a world of possibilities waiting to be released and channeled toward some great good. Brian Tracy
- You know what strong and successful people understand that other people do not? They know that problems are gifts. Think about one problem you are facing now. Can you see it as a potential gift? Drew Rozwell
To fully explore your potential, perhaps try to THINK LIKE WATER.
New Year, a HOP, Skip and Jump Away!
As you approach the brand new year before us, remember to contemplate these strategies. We are not promised it will be easy, but with these considerations, perhaps looking at the new year with a fresh attitude, we may even be amazed with our results!
Remember, If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be meetings. Dave Berry
You could either interpret this as me suggesting you limit your meetings or perhaps to remember to keep your sense of humor about you.
Happy New Year!