Art has so many psychological benefits! It doesn’t matter whether we are engaging with the work of others or creating our own. The arts are a vital part of being a well rounded, healthy human. All the creative arts (visual, musical, literary, theatrical, culinary, dance, etc.) can invite an exploration of our inner selves. Whatever may be bothering us psychologically may come up for healing.
- The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance. Aristotle
- Art is not what you see, but what you make others see. Edgar Degas
- Whether you succeed or not is irrelevant, there is no such thing. Making your unknown known is the important thing. Georgia O’Keeffe
The arts are psychologically healing!
The arts can actually become an element of healing. This practice can alter our interior landscape. It can be addictive in a healthy way. During my three decade K-8 visual arts teaching career, it seemed young students had an innate knowing that the arts are healing. (Sometimes adults, especially those with little arts exposure, don’t have this realization.) For more detail on what all the arts can do to achieve a healthy inner environment within our body, see ARTS A Bridge To Life. Here is a site on visual art therapy: https://www.rtor.org/2018/07/10/benefits-of-art-therapy/ . Art therapy can help with various kinds of trauma, including coping with grief. Creating art releases dopamine within our body. This is a natural feel good chemical formed within us.
- Creativity is a drug I cannot live without. Cecil B. DeMille
- Art is the only way to run away without leaving home. Twyla Tharp
Practicing the arts can be deep soul work!
When creating an artistic piece, it is virtually impossible to separate ourselves from our work. If we practice enough, we acquire our own signature style. Our work is virtually imprinted with our own soul!
- Art is the stored honey of the human soul. Theodore Dreiser
- To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven’s sake. So do it. Kurt Vonnegut
- Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures. Henry Ward Beecher
- Nature is not only all that is visible to the eye…it also includes the inner pictures of the soul. Edvard Munch
- If I were called upon to define briefly the word Art, I should call it the reproduction of what the senses perceive in nature, seen through the veil of the soul. Paul Cezanne
Do yourself a favor and immerse yourself into one or more of the arts. You may be amazed to discover the psychological benefits of art!
2 thoughts on “Psychological Benefits of Art”
WOW&WOW!Once(?)again,You are Teaching Me:arts-the beauty within&I don’t have to be’ good’ at any arts,just flow into any&let the experience happen.THANKS💝
You are so welcome, Carol! Just be immersed within it and enjoy!