With the beginning of summer, our senses are treated to a smorgasbord of delights! Focusing on nature can be a direct way to inner peace. Concentrating on each of our senses while out in nature can also be a healthy way to slow down and quiet one’s grief. Enjoy a variety of quotes and photos on summer senses!
Sense of Summer Touch
I just love the feel of sun on my skin in the summer! All the different textures of plants as well as the feel of soil in my hands while working in the garden are special summer treats. Add to that, feeling the gentle breeze while in the yard swing – could summer be any more perfect? Feel the fresh air easing away any tension!
- Yellow is my favorite summer color – it makes me feel like a sunflower! Bria Vinaite
- Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadows. Helen Keller
Smells of Summer
Summer has scents unique to the season. While the following photo is not roses, pre-summer is the beginning of the end of the fragrance of lovely red peonies. Perhaps the grill may be another fixture of summertime aromas! Later in the summer, the enticing smell of tomato vines invites my mouth to water! Can you sniff the summertime scent of joy?
- It was June, and the world smelled of roses. The sunshine was like powdered gold over the grassy hillside. Maud Hart Lovelace from Betsy-Tacy and Tib
- There are new smells on the wind, the healthy scent of green and growing things, the way a summer day can smell, or a greenhouse, sugarsmooth aroma of budding trees and water flowing free across coarse and sparkling sand. Caitlin R. Kiernan
- Summer has a flavor like no other. Always fresh and simmered in sunshine. Oprah Winfrey
- What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness. John Steinbeck
Those contrasting flavors between summer and all the other seasons are part of what makes it so special. What are some comforting tastes you associate with summer?
Sights of Summer
In the summer, the colors may intensify or fade, depending upon the current rainfall. We may even spy folks enjoying kayaking on a local pond. Perhaps sighting a special bird or butterfly may help you realize your departed loved one may be near!
- In early June the world of leaf and blade and flowers explode, and every sunset is different. John Steinbeck
- Oh, the summer night, has a smile of light, and she sits on a sapphire throne. Bryan Procter
- Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer’s day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time. John Lubbock
- Summer afternoon – summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language. Henry James
If you’d like some ideas on other ways to appreciate the outdoors summer weather, check out this website: https://indyschild.com/100-things-to-do-outside-this-summer-at-home/. Following all of this summer talk, perhaps you need to cool down a little! Here is a post on Call of the Winter!
May you enjoy a balance of work and rest as you enjoy your summer senses – wherever you are in the Northern Hemisphere on the third planet from the sun!
2 thoughts on “Summer Senses”
Today I went to Mom’s&Dad’s grave since Sat.would’ve been Mom’s 95 birthday &Sun.was Daddy’s Day.I took some earth -friendly spray&rags to clean Grandparents &my folks’stones.I had just started rubbing the orange fungus when The Most Precious orange butterfly landed on the little bench.It just stayed there fanning it’s wings until I went to the baby’s grave that Grandparents had given birth to 9month old stillbirth baby boyMarch 20,1924.The butterfly came &landed on the bright pink bag with the rags& stayed until I finished.God knew I needed the company.
How beautiful! Bless you, Carol!